The truck industry plays a huge role in our economy. However, truck accidents are known to be severe and even life-threatening. For this reason, if you or a loved one is a victim, then you should contact a Fairfield truck accident lawyer immediately. That is because you may be liable to receive compensation for your injuries, damages, and suffering.
At Injured CT, we understand this and we give it all our best to ensure you get the compensation you are rightfully owed.
Our Fairfield personal injury lawyers are ready to take on your case. Remember, we do not get paid unless we win you the claim.
Call us today for a free consultation.
Truck Accident Statistics in Connecticut
According to a 2015 report by the NHTSA (National Highway Safety Administration), there were a total of 266 fatal traffic accidents in Connecticut. Out of this number, 37 accidents involved large trucks. The report mentions that only three people who died were truck occupants and the other deaths came from other vehicle occupants or pedestrians.
This finding shows that truck occupants are safer compared to other road users. This report also shows that when a truck is involved in a traffic accident, the danger of serious injuries or death is high.
What Should You Do After a Truck Accident?
Everyone wants to imagine themselves being immune to a traffic accident. However, the truth is that it can happen to anyone. For this reason, if you get into a truck-related accident, you must follow the following steps:
- Call the police and inform them of the accident. Answer as many questions as you can, if asked.
- Help others – It is important to help others if possible. Although saving others is part of humanity, your life should come first.
- Exchange information – Exchange or collect information relevant information from the other driver like contacts, name, insurance, etc.
- Document the scene and speak to witnesses – It is important to document the scene by taking photos and speaking to witnesses.
- Seek immediate medical attention – Your life is paramount, and for this reason, it is wise to seek immediate medical attention after an accident even if you feel fine.
- Speak to an attorney – Make sure that you have contacted an experienced Fairfield truck accident lawyer.
What Are the Laws Regarding Truck Liability in Connecticut?
There are only two agencies with primary authority over the trucking industry in the state of Connecticut. These are:
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (the Commercial Vehicle Safety Division)
Together, both of these ageneses have established specific rules and regulations regarding truck liability, that includes:
- The maximum weight needed based on the size of the truck and its cargo
- The hours of service (the maximum time a driver can be on duty)
- Obtaining proper permits for CDLs (Commercial Driver Licenses) and many more
How Can a Truck Accident Lawyer Help?
There are many ways a Fairfield truck accident lawyer can help you. Few examples include:
- Legal advice
- Filing the claim
- Negotiation for a settlement
- Court representation
What Type of Compensation Can I Receive?
There are three types of compensation you can receive after filing a monetary compensation claim in Fairfield, CT. They are:
- Economic Damages: This type is based on what can be calculated. It covers damages like medical expenses, property damage, lost income, etc.
- Non-Economic Damages: This type covers harm and losses that aren’t financial. It covers damages like pain, suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, etc.
- Punitive Damages: This type is awarded by the court and it is designed to act as a punishment to the offender.
How Much Is My Truck Accident Claim Worth?
According to reports by the NTHSA, truck-related accidents attract severe or life-threatening injuries. For this reason, truck accident cases involve more monetary compensation compared to other forms of accidents.
Nevertheless, it is important to note that this does not mean that your claim is going to recover a lot of financial compensation. That is because the amount differs from case to case.
Contact us to know the true worth of your claim.
Is There a Deadline for Filing a Claim in Connecticut?
The standard time limit is 2 years. This timeline can be found at General Statute of Connecticut Section 52-584. The time limit for country or government entities in Connecticut is 6 months (where you must express your intention to sue the city or county). The state claim commissioner must also be notified of the claim against the state within a year.
How Is Fault in a Truck Accident Determined?
When it comes to truck accidents, there are many factors to consider and entities to consider. For this reason, when it comes to determining fault, an investigation must be conducted to identify the at-fault party.
Can a Lawyer Prove the Truck Driver Was Negligent?
For a truck driver to be found to be negligent, the truck accident lawyer must prove the following:
- Duty of care – The lawyer must show the truck driver has a duty of care while driving on the road.
- Failed to observe the duty of care – The lawyer must show the truck driver failed to observe the duty of care and caused the accident.
- The injuries were caused by the accident – The lawyer must prove the accident was the cause of the victim’s injuries.
Who Can Be Held Liable?
Depending on the circumstances, the following parties can be held responsible:
- Trucking company
- Truck driver
- Truck loading company
- Vehicle or part manufacturers
What Are the Common Causes of Truck Accidents?
Some of the common causes of truck accidents include:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Distracted driving
- Driver fatigue
- Reckless driving
- Poor road condition
- Equipment malfunction or failure
- Lack of proper truck maintenance
- Inexperienced or poorly trained drivers
- Improperly secured or oversize freights
Call a Fairfield Truck Accident Lawyer Today
At Injured CT, we value our clients and work hard to protect our client’s rights. When we take on your case, we will work swiftly and efficiently to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. Furthermore, we do not get paid if we do not win compensation for you.
That is because we work on a contingency basis. Get in touch with a Fairfield truck accident lawyer to schedule a free consultation.