Pedestrians are among the most vulnerable road users, and unfortunately, accidents involving pedestrians can result in severe injuries or even fatalities.
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, it is essential to understand your legal rights and whether you can seek compensation for your injuries and damages.
In this article, we will explore the legal rights of pedestrians, their ability to pursue compensation, and the importance of working ith a Connecticut pedestrian accident lawyer in such cases.
For a free legal consultation, call (855)-285-3425
Pedestrians’ Right of Way
Pedestrians have certain rights and protections when navigating roadways. While the specific laws may vary by jurisdiction, generally, pedestrians have the right of way in crosswalks and at intersections, even if there are no marked crosswalks.
Drivers are legally obligated to yield to pedestrians in these situations to ensure their safety.
Negligence and Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents often occur due to the negligence of drivers or other parties involved. Negligence refers to the failure to exercise reasonable care, resulting in harm or injury to another person. In the context of pedestrian accidents, negligence may include:
- Distracted Driving: If a driver is distracted by activities such as texting or talking on the phone, eating, or using a navigation system and hits a pedestrian as a result, they may be held liable for the accident.
- Speeding: Excessive speeding reduces a driver’s ability to react to pedestrians in time, making it more likely for accidents to occur. If a driver is found speeding and hits a pedestrian, they may be deemed negligent.
- Failure to Yield: When a driver fails to yield the right of way to pedestrians at crosswalks or intersections, an accident occurs, and they can be held accountable for their negligence. A New Haven pedestrian accident lawyer can argue the merits of your case.
- Driving Under the Influence: If a driver operates a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or other impairing substances and hits a pedestrian, they may be held liable for the accident due to their negligent actions.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Seeking Compensation for Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrians who have been injured in accidents caused by the negligence of others may be entitled to seek compensation for their injuries and damages. Compensation can help cover various losses, including:
- Medical Expenses: Pedestrians injured in accidents often require immediate medical attention and ongoing treatment. Compensation can cover medical expenses such as hospital bills, surgeries, medications, physical therapy, and rehabilitation.
- Lost Wages: If the injuries sustained in the accident prevent the pedestrian from working, they may be eligible to recover lost wages and future earning capacity.
- Pain and Suffering: Pedestrian accidents can cause physical pain, emotional distress, and a reduced quality of life. Compensation may be awarded for the pain and suffering endured as a result of the accident with the help of a Middletown pedestrian accident lawyer.
- Property Damage: If personal property, such as clothing or personal belongings, is damaged in the accident, the pedestrian may be entitled to compensation for the cost of repair or replacement.
- Wrongful Death: In cases where a pedestrian is fatally injured in an accident, their family members may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim, seeking compensation for funeral expenses, loss of companionship, and financial support.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
The Importance of Hiring an Attorney
Navigating the legal complexities of a pedestrian accident claim can be overwhelming, particularly while dealing with the physical and emotional aftermath of the accident. Hiring an experienced personal injury attorney can provide several benefits, including:
- Legal Expertise: An attorney specializing in personal injury can navigate the legal system, understand the relevant laws, and build a strong case on behalf of the pedestrian.
- Case Evaluation: A skilled attorney will assess the circumstances of the accident, evaluate the strength of the claim, and determine the potential compensation to pursue.
- Negotiation and Advocacy: A Vernon pedestrian accident attorney will negotiate with insurance companies on behalf of the pedestrian, ensuring they receive fair and just compensation. If a settlement cannot be reached, the attorney will advocate for the pedestrian’s rights in court.
- Gathering Evidence: Attorneys have the resources and knowledge to gather crucial evidence, such as accident reports, witness statements, surveillance footage, and expert opinions, to support the pedestrian’s claim.
- Legal Deadlines: An attorney will ensure that all necessary paperwork is filed within the applicable statutes of limitations, preventing the claim from being time-barred.
- Peace of Mind: By entrusting the legal process to an attorney, pedestrians can focus on their recovery and well-being, knowing that their case is being handled by a skilled professional.
Pedestrians have legal rights and protections in the event of an accident caused by the negligence of others. Seeking compensation for injuries and damages is possible, and pedestrians must understand their rights and the available legal options.
Hiring a knowledgeable Bristol personal injury attorney is highly recommended, as they can navigate the complexities of the legal system, advocate for the pedestrian’s rights, and help secure the compensation they deserve.
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, consulting with an attorney will protect your legal rights as you pursue the compensation you are entitled to.